Sunday, June 10, 2012

Alex's Latest Interview - “One Of The Errors Of My Career Was Doing A Vampire Show (‘Moonlight’)." But Was It Really A Career Error Alex ?







 “One of the errors of my career was doing a vampire show (‘Moonlight’). The fans that I got from that show are very committed. They will never ever see me as anything other than Mick St. John."







Okay so I'm sure by now everyone has seen & read the latest Alex O'Loughlin Interview from the Philippine Daily Inquirer if not here is the link Alex's Latest Interview From The Philippine Daily Inquirer















I know what I am about to say is not going to be very popular with the Alex Fans & the Hawaii Five-0 Fans and for that I am sorry.  I'm a Moonlight Fan, I'm a Alex O'Loughlin Fan and I am a Hawaii Five-0 Fan.   I have never seen it as a problem of being a fan of the actor himself and a fan of both highly popular shows.  

Let me start out by saying first and foremost that I am in no way condoning Alex’s comments in this article when it comes to Moonlight & the fans, in fact I am disagreeing with him on what he had to say about Moonlight & the fans. 

Speaking as a Moonlight Fan I do know that there are some Moonlight Fans & some Alex Fans that are bit crazy and go to far but let’s be real here It’s not fair for Alex to group all the fans of Moonlight together like we all won’t let him move on and that we only see him as Mick St. John because I know speaking strictly for just myself that is not the case. 

  Alex has contradicted himself before in other interviews where Moonlight is concerned time and time again for the last 4 years since Moonlight was unjustly canceled that is nothing new for Moonlight Fans; But strictly speaking as both a Moonlight fan and as an Alex fan I am very disappointed in him with this comment. Whether Alex said it like he meant it or whether or not it was taken out of context and he said it jokingly. It doesn’t matter now really because what’s said is said and the damage has already been done and there is no way that Alex can take it back even if he wanted to. 

I’m actually studying to be a filmmaker with the ultimate goal of being a producer & director for feature film & television series; The one thing I am learning is that you never ever make public comments like this.



   It’s because comments of this sort can alienate your fans and the people who made you a star and in this case that would be the show’s creators along with the cast & crew Alex worked with. It was Trevor Munson & Ron Koslow who first cast Alex in the role of Mick St. John because they saw something in him that worked.  They ended up recasting everyone except Alex after they shot the first pilot and that is how we ended up with the great cast that we got when Moonlight first premiered on CBS. If it had been not been for both Trevor & Ron casting him as the lead character Mick St. John in Moonlight, If it had not been for Moonlight & the some 8 million fans that he garnered during that 2007-2008 season, Alex would have never gotten the breaks that he has gotten.   CBS would not have given Alex that talent hold contract, The Criminal Minds episode, The Back Up Plan, Three Rivers &  Now Hawaii Five-0.  


 It was because of having starred as Mick St. John in Moonlight and along with the fans that Alex was put in the position to even be considered for the role of Steve McGarrett and this is how he thanks the fans & the people who made him a star by making an off the cuff comment like this and alienating and entire fan base of some 8 Million plus people who were more or less his first real fans here in the US and who for the most part have followed him from Moonlight to Hawaii Five-0. 


Based on what I have seen and heard since yesterday when the interview first came out and talking to other fans, I have to say the majority of fans are shocked, hurt, saddened and down right angry over his comments about Moonlight & the fans and that even if Alex addresses this in the future I doubt it will do any good because the damage has already been done.  


 I personally doubt very seriously that we will ever get any type of explanation or apology from Alex these days.


   IMO since Hawaii Five-0 got that second season from CBS Alex has changed dramatically he is not the same person who for four years when asked always proclaimed to love the vampire genre & whose face lit up with a sparkle in his eyes and beautiful smile every time Moonlight or it's fans was mentioned to him in interviews. It's really sad.


Alex has to know that you don’t alienate the people who made you because someday you might just need them again.

I am not trying to piss anyone off here. I’m stating my opinion on this.

Don’t throw to many tomatoes at me

8 comments:

  1. Hear hear, Lisa. First time I read it (and read that part again for another 4 times!),I immediately thought of Sophia, Jason and all the other people involved in ML. Were they an 'error' too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Lisa. I'm an Aussie and I have followed Alex since before ML and I am very disappointed in his comments. I prefer the work he did before and up to ML all the other stuff doesn't appeal to me but I always keep hoping he will get the movie break I always thought he deserved. Now I don't care he has lost my respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likewise am personally disgusted and appalled that AOL would say this PUBLICLY (especially given that his occupation depends upon the good will of the public).

    As someone who has been a fan of MANY genre-based movies and shows, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, et al, most of my fellows (at least those I met) have been kind, intelligent, gracious and supportive. In EVERY fandom there are nutjobs. I have frankly been disturbed by what I see on some of the H50 fan posts.

    I wish I could say I was surprised, but alas I am not. For me, the real AOL disappeared circa 2009, and sadly I do not anticipate we will ever see that bright eyed, beautiful human being again. Anyone remember him at NY Comic-Con? Go look on YouTube. This was the man excited to see Optimus Prime and took a picture with Darth Vader!

    I see this new persona as being yet another cBS puppet, with no regard for the people (Moonlight fans) who put him on the map in the first place. I had hoped Jason D was kidding when he mentioned AOL getting a big head - sadly, looks like he wasn't.

    For the record, Alex really needs to do his homework regarding genre fans. Does anyone remember when Harrison Ford became a household name? William Shater? Leonard Nimoy? Will Smith? Yep, GENRE films and shows have made MANY a sensation and also restored many a career. A fellow Aussie, Chris Hemsworth, was virtually unknown until Thor. Robert Downey, Jr. was essentially relaunched when he became Tony Stark and donned the Iron Man suit. I don't hear either of them complaining - and with a BILLION DOLLAR (genre) film franchise now born, I doubt you will.

    Just as I doubt H50 will bring AOL that level of success and riches. Too bad - he rocked as Mick St. John and in his earlier works. THAT is the AOL I choose to remember. And I will continue to follow Jason and Sophia, two people who respect their fans. Bye, Alex. The real you will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVERY THOUGHT I HAD ABOUT THAT STATEMENT IN A NUTSHELL..THANKS BRAT.

    SEEMS WHEN CBS GOT THEIR CLAWS INTO AOL HE CHANGED COMPETELY FROM THE FUN LOVING HAPPY PERSON HE WAS DURING "MOONLIGHT" TO SOME NEW GUY WITH HORSE TEETH,(AND THE BEHIND TOO) WHO LOOKS LIKE HE HAS BEEN EATING BRIARS. NEVER A REAL SMILE, AND NEVER A LAUGH, AND NO TWINKLE IN HIS EYE..

    YEAH MONEY WILL BUY YOU "STUFF" CAR, HOUSE, CLOTHES, BUT NOT HAPPINESS AND NEVER RESPECT.

    WITH THOSE FEW WORDS, ANY RESPECT I HAD FOR HIM, WENT RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN...

    THANK GOODNESS THE PICTURES TAKEN AFTER REHAB, HE HAS HIS OLD TEETH BACK. BUT TO LATE TO FLASH THEM NOW..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he has had problems with some fans who have stalked him but those fans are not necessarily ML fans and he seems to want to throw us all in the same basket. Plus, let's face it, the words coming out of his mouth sound like the words put there by CBS minions. CBS has put the word (or fear) in him that he was meant for a crime procedural and nothing else and that's just not the case. The real problem with H5O is that he's straightjacketed by the producers and writers and he is not usually allowed to use his considerable acting talents. It's not that many Moonlight fans refuse to see him in any other role but Mick, it's those fans want to see him in roles (like Mick) which allow him that range.

    Nina and her cronies are, quite frankly, brainwashing him. He forgets that the people he's listening to now are the same people who cancelled a show he felt strongly about back then, then put him in another show with potential but in the crappiest slot in the schedule and with writers who forgot we needed to know and become invested in the characters first and then the stories would come naturally. That hurt, too, but it wasn't because the Moonlight fans didn't want to see him as a heart surgeon, it was because the show had problems in the story-telling and character depth departments.

    A majority of fans thought he was fantastic as a serial killer on Criminal Minds. That is not the response of fans who cannot let go of a show or a character-it's the response of fans who want to see the depth Alex can give his characters instead of watching him be hamstrung by writers and producers who pigeon-hole him into a largely 2 - dimensional character too much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay this is old but some may read this. Like in the interviewer already wanted to stress with "blessed with Aussie humor..." this was a joke and after being asked again on twitter the interviewer tweeted "Alex O'Loughlin was joking. He said "errors" in jest. He is grateful for all his fans." Despite of the fact that he always talked about how much he loved the show.

    ReplyDelete